How to get help from RG coaches?

Modérateurs : Admin anglais, Admin bis

stakk
Administrateur

How to get help from RG coaches?

Message par stakk » 03 sept. 2016 11:28

Create a group of coaches who will help a small group of 4-5 new players along few races to learn basics and techniques of the game : weather forecasts, Mr "Random" ;) , weather data change and refresh, use of WP, scheduler, polars, etc.

The ones interested in can post requests here :
- coaches ready to help
- new players asking for help

8-)

Benoitsuomi60
Joueur

Re: How to get help from RG coaches?

Message par Benoitsuomi60 » 04 sept. 2016 12:23

If you have some new foreigners joining the club, it will be my pleasure to help them :P
I will be able to explain them the meanings of all the tools they can use :D

Welcome to the club :!: ;) :D

stakk
Administrateur

Message par stakk » 04 sept. 2016 19:40

Thanks Benoit ;)
8-)

stakk
Administrateur

Message par stakk » 08 nov. 2017 21:49

Hi All!
There are currently a lot of players joining our game! Welcome all!

Just to remind all that there is a group for sharing technical discussions and providing help to new players. If you need help or just want to discuss on-line technical issues, you can ask the RG coaches to grant you access to the group. There are several ways to get access to the group :
1/ Just post your request here (post reply to this topic).
2/ Send a message boat to any coach (Stakk GD, zedstar GD, Valm 2, Caronmur, Chocotte44, gtlog, wineblood, CUBATRINIDAD, Benoitsuomi60).
3/ send a message using the forum message feature to wineblood or stakk.

See you soon :)

vanna
Joueur

Message par vanna » 18 oct. 2019 17:11

Before we get back to Bosporus in Mediterranean race 2,I shall need a help from one of the coaches and it will probably be Benoitsuomi whom I know from LS and was a very good skipper.He already helped me here and suppose will help me again.
I thought the boat is moving ahead in intervals of 10 min and could be programmed only from one interval to the other.When entered Bosporus I noted that the speed of the boat was too high to sail in zig zag.I did not find the way to stop the boat in between two intervals,so programmed with slower speed at angle of cca 30 deg(optimal 45).In the meantime I posed the question on chat how to stop the boat in between two intervals.I was told that I could stop the boat at any min.while programing. I was reluctant to start making experiments in the middle of Bosporus but than close to the end tried to stop the boat as I was told.Better I didn't, as the boat did not stop on programmed point but wrecked furter on.I set new points but the boat was not moving.I tried everything but boat was not moving and after 30 min noticed that the boat was anchored. I never set anchor in my programmed points so concluded that it is normal in this game when the boat wrecks the anchor goes down.I am in real life captain of biggest ships,so my brain works in such a mode that anchor is useful on sea not on shore.Actually it could be very dangerous,as if you wreck the ship first thing to do, is to unwreck it by going full astern but if your anchor is down, possibly hooked between the rocks you are f....d.
So main problem remains,that the boat does not stop on programmed intermediate point.I tried also with waypoint,which forms I think a red point, which I tried to move as that is what I read somewhere in instructions.The point didn't move.

Thanks in advance
Damir

limelight
Joueur

Message par limelight » 18 oct. 2019 18:37

Damir, you can place a schedule point at any minute within the 10 minute iteration period. The boat does not stop at this point but will take the new heading (and new sail if you changed it) and continue immediately without waiting for the rest of the iteration period. In fact you can put 9 points within the iteration period. I've never set 9 but I've managed 3 or 4 at times.

For the boat getting wrecked, there was a problem with the "bearded man on the raft" indication. What happens is they move your boat back from the shore (not far but a few meters) and drop the anchor and cancel your schedule points. The man on the raft is just to make sure you notice you've run aground but apparently it did not appear to many people. To restart, change the heading and set a sail. You will always find yourself at anchor after a grounding.

You can also use waypoints, you can drag them around with the mouse. Although I've heard and been warned about a bug that can happen if you suppress an intermediate waypoint. The problem with way points is you can't change sails but they are very precise and unlike the ones at LS, the boat does not stop and wait for the end of the iteration minute. The resolution in time for the waypoints is one second, for the scheduler one minute.

John
Check https://madinstro.net/rg/ for handy navigation tools.

smiticks42
Joueur

Message par smiticks42 » 18 oct. 2019 18:51

Thanks john for your very good and complete information :D

One more thing about the 10 minutes itération : at each 10 minutes according with the minute iteration, minute five 5 for the tour méditerranée, you have a point on your projection, and at each iteration of ten minutes the ranking is recalculated.

Fair winds Damir and John.

Paradise
Joueur

Message par Paradise » 19 oct. 2019 02:00

I did find the WP's very handy in the narrow bosporus. You set them at proper heading and staying off the cliffs. The boat follows the track set by the WP's and if a 10 min move does go further than next WP, your boat follows the next track of your WP course . Very good.
Sail can not be changed but that is normally not needed in a narrow as well.

vanna
Joueur

Message par vanna » 21 oct. 2019 16:28

Thanks all for your help.
Now new Bosporus passage is approaching and shall have to test all what you said in some challenge.
One more thing ,THE START. All the starts till now I have f...d up,as I am used to do the things in very last moment often late.(When upon a time I used to work many years as marine superintendent I used to fly a lot,sometimes changing four planes for one destination and next day the same back.I was recognized on many airports and they would say "oh mister of last moment and the seat one before the last"(last couldn't lower for nice sleep).
I thought I could start till 9 min 59.sec after the time of start as it was in LS. After 10 min or so I see all the boats moving and my not. I start pressing all possible button but no way ,not moving.Than at once jumps out my boat 10 -20 min behind all other. :( .
As you said the boat is receiving and following commands from 0 sec at the start but I still don't understand why iteration minutes are different from type of races.Why it is not 0 ?

blzblz
développeur

Message par blzblz » 21 oct. 2019 17:13

Hi vanna,

Races have a different iteration minute for a simple pratical reason: at the iteration minute, the game engine computes all boats next position. This takes a bit of time for the cpu of the server to calculate, especially when boats are sailing in the orange cells, because the calculation has to test if the boats run aground, and if yes, where, and compute also the place where the boat should be stopped.

With our server (called Nestor) this take a few seconds, sometimes 5, somtimes 7 on races where the boats are close to the rocks (like the Mediterranean Tour Leg 2 with around 100 boats.
If we had 10 races of this kind running on the same iteration, in some cases, some boats position would not have been calculated the minute just after the iteration minute (7 second * 10 races -> 70 seconds). This is not that much important; the most important is that all boats positions are computed before the next iteration minute.

Having a different iteration minute for most races releive the pressure on the server, then it's running smoother.

Hope this is clear enough, ask if not.

About starting time:
Let's say a race has the iteration minute on minute 5.
The race isstarting at 19h55. The next boats position calculation occurs at 20h05.
So you can set a sail and validate a heading up to 20h04m 59s. The boat should start.
If between 19h55 and 20h04 59s, you set a sail and a heading, and some scheduler points, your boat position will be computed according to his settings.
More glenerally, on a same race with the iteration minute set to 5, if for example at 22h44, you set some scheduler points for 22h36, 22h38 and 22h44; this scheduler points will be taken into account in the computation at 20h55.

Last about starting settings:
All boats are bring back to start the day the race starts, at 18h00. The sail setting is set to anchor and the heading setting is set the same fo all boats. The scheduler points and waypoints are deleted. The only thing that is not reset I think is the autoheading.
So you can start setting a sail and a heading just after 18h00. However, it's best to wait for 18h30 when the new wind forecast is available. That how most people handle their start: the make their settings when they have time between 18h30 and 20h00.
It's not a good idea to wait up to between 19h5x and 20h00 (x = iteration minute) because you may be confused by the winds parameters display (might be a bug there).
When making your settings and schedule points before 19h5x, be sure to set the winds forecast selector to +12h to have the right wind that the game engine will use at start.

Same, ask if not clear enough.

Wish you some very good starts. Once you have understood it, it appears very simple ;).

Répondre

Revenir à « Coaching newbies and beginners »