FAQ's: How to solve a Grounded Boat?

Want to report a bug? Any questions? Post them here to get help.

Modérateurs : Admin anglais, Admin bis

Paradise
Joueur

FAQ's: How to solve a Grounded Boat?

Message par Paradise » 24 sept. 2019 08:22

Last night my Boat Paradise was grounded in the 49er 19FalT#1 just south of the Gate#2. I am sailing with the new version RG
- I do realise the reason for my grounding. Sailing on schedule, I set a mark too close to the shore apparently, trusting the accuracy of RG marks location, but I fear I overlooked the fact that scheduled marks will shift when with the wind update there is a wind direction shift and/or wind strength change. OK.
- I found my boat sitting on the French beaches at midnight GMT and 0200 FT. So I changed heading away from the beach and reloaded the game. Next I lost my boat from the Beach and found her back some 25 Nmiles north on its way into the Channel ? I think that I did see the OK-OK marks at gate#2 but now I am not sure on this.
- Q: why did my boat move away from the beach? maybe because my scheduled heading after the mark was clear from the beach?
- I headed towards the finish, but around 0600FT, I thought my ranking is high, investigation this, I saw that the 2nd gate was not validated ?
-Q: is it normal that a boat grounded, will move further on after the grounding?
-Q: if above question is YES, why did the 2nd gate not validate? In this case it would have been better for me to have the boat on the beach and after my interference I could have validated the gate, rather than discovering the missed gate after 5 hrs of additional sailing.

blzblz
développeur

Re: FAQ's: How to solve a Grounded Boat?

Message par blzblz » 24 sept. 2019 09:08

Hi Paradise,

I'll try to answer your questions a little bit later today (Europe).

Short answers:

- when ran agraound, the scheduler is desactivated, the only solution to go back to sea it manually set a sail and change your heading towards the sea

- about you validating gate 2: I checked your tail, and as everybody it seems that you passed it very close to the ground. You said you think you did see it validated (OK- OK). A validated gate stay validated in any case, never devalidate. We have to investigate furthermore your precise path to understand what happened. Later today...

Sorry for this mistake, regards

Paradise
Joueur

Message par Paradise » 14 oct. 2019 02:54

Last night my boat was grounded , some 10 Nm before the Finish in the Week race. I must have set one mark wrong or so, that the course I set out changed and hit the beaches.
Can happen, my fault.

BUT....
what I do not understand is, why my boat does not stay put at the grounding place and I can continue my race from there (sometimes when my marks are all used, I do use a grounding intentionally to have my boat at least progressing!)
I now have parked my boat (dynamically, TWA=0) so you might be able to analyse the course and get to change this behaviour, as sailing along the boat erases the course that brought her here again. .

I found my boat on the beach around around 0000gmt=1900FT, changed heading and sail to get her free. Next update , I lost my boat only to find her back close to the African coast , some 500 Nm to the SW from where I was, (even the best sailors would not be able to sail my boat from the Ibiza beaches around in about 3 hrs)

again my questions
- why does a boat after grounding not stay at the beach, to allow to pick her up and with new heading and sail choice continue the race?
- why does my boat move a large distance , even crossing land masses, when I try to get her off the beach

this is very frustrating as grounding is bad enough, let alone being thrown back some 500Nm

blzblz
développeur

Message par blzblz » 14 oct. 2019 09:41

We are very sorry Paradise :!:

When a boat runs aground, she is put back into the sea a few meters back in the direction where she came from.
This is working quite well and it's a very long time we hadn't had such a strange bug :!:

The boat positions history has been saved for this race and we'll investigate to try to understand what wen't wrong.

When encountering a bug in a race, it is important not to give up the race so the positions history is not lost.
Thank you for reporting this, Paradise, and all our apologies.

Paradise
Joueur

Message par Paradise » 14 oct. 2019 11:58

thanks for your attention

I will now start sailing again in this weekend race 2020A#2 and try to get to the Finish.

limelight
Joueur

Message par limelight » 14 oct. 2019 12:17

Paradise a écrit : what I do not understand is, why my boat does not stay put at the grounding place and I can continue my race from there (sometimes when my marks are all used, I do use a grounding intentionally to have my boat at least progressing!)
??? How does grounding your boat help you progress Ard? I don't get what you mean.

Aside from that you clearly met a serious bug but... wouldn't it be neat if you could teleport your boat to near the finish line instead of the African coast? Like pixel jumping on steroids! :)
Check https://madinstro.net/rg/ for handy navigation tools.

blzblz
développeur

Message par blzblz » 14 oct. 2019 12:33

Paradise a écrit :thanks for your attention

I will now start sailing again in this weekend race 2020A#2 and try to get to the Finish.
Paradise,

I you want to finish this Week Race 2020A#2, we can teleport you close to where the bug occured, you'll be very close to the finish line, then having a better ranking.
We do not like it at all teleporting boats. We did it a bit at the begining of the game when there was several major bugs, but now that the game is quite stable, we decided to stop it.
But for sure what you encountered is a real bad bug, so it's ok to teleport you.

Just answer yes and we'll do it. We'll be checking the forum the next hours and teleport you as soon as you'll answer yes, but then you have to quickly check for your heading and sail...

Paradise
Joueur

Message par Paradise » 14 oct. 2019 14:03

No teleportation is required. I am sailing already to the finish, which I should pass tomorrow .
I prefer sailing myself.

on the point of using a grounding in progressing a race, I was a little cryptic.

if I run out of marks, than you have the option of either stop your boat at the last mark, or over shoot a turning point(and later have to sail back ) or "parking" your boat at a point that is better than Mark 5 but does not let you boat progress too far away from your destination as parking it at the intended turning point. So I ground it at a beach close to that turning point and when at the helm , get the boat going in the desired direction.
Dernière modification par Paradise le 14 oct. 2019 15:00, modifié 1 fois.

blzblz
développeur

Message par blzblz » 14 oct. 2019 14:27

All right, Paradise. Maximum respect :!:

For your cryptic way of navigating ( :) ), I can understand that sometimes it may be better to run aground while sleeping instead of going to far away, thus needing to sail back after wake-up ;)

Do you know about "pacha" ? We did not yet set the translation on the page presenting the pachas but I think it is explained on the manual (the old on at least) (The pacha page will be translated today).

Beside some cosmetic looks (map and boat colors), it allows 9 scheduler points and 9 waypoints instead of 5 for the non-pachas players.
Becoming pacha is 20 euros for one full year starting at the donation date.
Donation can be done through paypal or by sending a check. There is no payment through regattagame website, this is why we are not in a hurry for setting up the https protocol.
And we also are going to offer an alternative payment service for credit cards because we are not that much happy giving so much money to paypal, but that's another story.

Anyhow, fair winds, Paradise !

Paradise
Joueur

Message par Paradise » 17 oct. 2019 03:33

this morning found my boat grounded , as I expected.
got the boat of the beach and sailed further on a new heading.
GREAT

also learned how to use the WP's , nice feature.

later,, when I almost was through the 1st narrow, I got a bad surprise as my boat was thrown back to the former square down in the narrow again, falling from the fifties to the 115 rank? admitted , I did a lot of trial and error to get the WP at the places I thought were best.
now sailing up again.

Répondre

Revenir à « Bugs & FAQs »